The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a powerful and reliable engine that has been in production for over 10 years. It’s available on the Challenger, Charger, 300C, Durango, and Journey models. The HEMI 5.7 L offers up to 375 horsepower with 325 lb-ft of torque as well as an 8-cylinder design that helps it achieve its high power output without sacrificing fuel efficiency. This article will cover everything you need to know about this engine.
Dodge HEMI 5.7 L Engine Review [hide]
Dodge HEMI 5.7 L Engine Specs
The 5.7-liter HEMI engine has E85 FlexFuel capability (hardware modification to the PCM required) and can run on 85 percent ethanol (E85). The 2007 version of the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 features AC Delco’s Gen IV Small Block family of parts, including high-strength steel rods and aluminum-alloy cylinder heads for improved durability, high-flow intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. The 2007 5.7-liter HEMI also features two spark plugs per cylinder (the first HEMI engine to do so), standard electronic throttle control (ETC) with returnless fuel rail configuration, dual-independent camshaft phasing (DISC) and an all-new two-step Variable Exhaust System. The new, patented VES divides the exhaust flow to the chamber outlets according to engine load for increased power and fuel economy.
- Manufacturer: Chrysler
- Production period: 2004–present
- Engine type: 90° V10
- Aspiration: twin-turbocharged, intercooled (all models), naturally aspirated (SRT8 only)
- Displacement: 345.6 cu in (5654 cc)
- Bore × stroke: 4.06 in × 3.58 in (103.0 mm × 90.9 mm)
- Compression ratio: 10.3:1
- Power output: 425 hp (317 kW) at 6100 rpm
- Torque: 420 lb·ft (569 N·m) at 4800 rpm
- Redline: 6500 rpm
HEMI 5.7 L Engine Overview
Hemi is a term that has been used multiple times in the automotive industry. For example, Chrysler’s Hemi Charger was introduced in 1966 and the technology behind it is still very much relevant today.
The engine design consists of two cylinder banks set at an acute angle to each other (otherwise known as “pent-roof” or “hemi” cylinder geometry) which is a departure from conventional V-type engines. It offers not only excellent power production, but also optimizes exhaust scavenging while reducing the structural requirements of both block and heads – therefore being easy to manufacture on an automotive scale.
The Chrysler HEMI engine was a result of a 3-year engineering and design program that began in the late 1990s. The first engine, known as the 5.7 L, was released in 2001 as a replacement for the aging LA-series V8. It featured all-new aluminum cylinder heads, a forged crankshaft, and pistons with graphite-coated skirts – setting new standards for durability and performance in the muscle car market.
The 5.7 L Hemi engine proved to be a popular choice for Dodge vehicles, powering everything from the Charger and Challenger to the Ram pickup truck. In 2015, it was replaced by an all-new 6.4 L Hemi engine, which is now offered in the Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat.
The Hemi engine has a long history of success in the automotive industry, and it’s clear to see why. With its impressive power output and durability, it’s a perfect choice for drivers who want the best in performance and reliability.
HEMI 5.7 L Engine reliability
The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a powerhouse that delivers intense power and performance. This engine is available in both the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Dodge Challenger. It produces 395 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque. The engine has a V8 configuration and is equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission. It also features the following standard safety features:
- 4 wheel antilock brakes
- Electronic stability control to prevent skidding or sliding during turns
- Brake assist, which assists the driver by providing additional force when applying the brake pedal in an emergency situation. The system senses how quickly the brakes are being applied and adjusts the level of braking to ensure the shortest stopping distance
- Theft deterrent security system, which causes the engine to shut off if someone tries to steal your vehicle by breaking a window or tampering with the ignition. This prevents thieves from starting the car and driving away easily.
The first time the HEMI 5.7 L Engine was powered up by a consumer was in 2010, with the release of the 2011 model of Ram trucks and Jeeps .
Since then an overwhelming amount of consumers have praised its design and capabilities as a powerful engine, but many more have complained about how hard it is to maintain the HEMI 5.7 L Engine, and how expensive it can be.
Consumer Reports ranks it below average in many areas for long-term reliability, so one should take these ratings into consideration when buying this engine powered vehicle.
HEMI 5.7 L Engine Key Features
The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a popular option for drivers looking for power and performance. Some of its key features include:
- A V8 design that delivers incredible power and performance
- Fuel efficiency thanks to Variable Valve Timing (VVT)
- Flexible fuel capability that allows it to run on ethanol or gasoline
- TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission for smooth, responsive shifting
The HEMI 5.7 L engine is capable of producing up to 395 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque, making it a great choice for drivers who need serious power and performance. Thanks to its VVT technology, the engine is also very fuel efficient, and can run on either ethanol or gasoline. The TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission provides smooth, responsive shifting, making it a great choice for drivers who demand the best performance. If you’re looking for an engine that delivers power, performance, and fuel efficiency, the Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a great option. Thanks for choosing the Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine!
HEMI 5.7 L Engine Horsepower
The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a powerhouse that delivers intense power and performance. This engine is available in both the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Dodge Challenger. It produces 395 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque. The engine has a V8 configuration and is equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission.
HEMI 5.7 L Engine Oil Viscosity
The 5.7l v8 has a capacity of 7 quarts of SAE 5W-20. This oil grade is recommended to provide the engine with protection from low temperature start-ups, while providing maximum fuel economy.
HEMI 5.7 L Engine Oil Capacity
The magnificent 5.7L V8 engine of the Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 models are all powered by efficient Hemi that delivers smooth power to each wheel with no fuss or bother! The new oil filter will keep your motor running strong for years thanks in part from its 7 quart capacity.
Best Oil for HEMI 5.7 L Engine
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix, or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low-temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.
Dodge models using HEMI 5.7 L Engine
Dodge models using HEMI 5.7 L Engine are some of the most powerful and reliable on the road today. The engine debuted in the 2003 Dodge Ram and was based on a design that dated back to 1951. Over the years, it has had several alterations but today’s version is notable for use of MDS system and rear-mount design.
The 5.7 L HEMI was released for model year 2003 on the Dodge Ram pickup trucks to complement the Magnum 5.9 engine.
- 2003 – 2008 Ram 1500/2500/3500 (345 hp @ 5,600 rpm)
- 2009 – 2012 Ram 1500 (390 hp @ 5,600 rpm)
- 2009 – current Ram 2500/3500 (383 hp @ 5,600 rpm)
- 2013 – current Ram 1500 (395 hp @ ,5600 rpm)
As of 2004 it was the only available gasoline engine in the Ram Heavy Duty. Chrysler later made the 5.7 L Hemi available in all models of the 2004 Dodge Ram, Dodge Durango, the 2005 Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum R/T, Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T, Jeep Commander, the 2007 Chrysler Aspen, the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, and the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer.
Overall, the HEMI 5.7 L engine is a powerful and reliable option for Dodge vehicles. It has a long history of success and Chrysler Group has put in extensive effort to make sure that it meets the high standards of their customers. If you’re looking for a powerful engine that will provide great performance, the HEMI 5.7 L is a great option.
Dodge HEMI 5.7 L Engine life expancy
The 5.7 Hemi engine is a durable workhorse that can be found in 250,000 – 300,000 miles vehicles with regular maintenance and care! So, Hemi engines are known for their durability, with some models lasting up to 300 000 miles. 5.7L Hemis can be found running around today after being well maintained and regularly serviced- it’s not uncommon.
Chrylser’s use of the HEMI led it to be considered one of the most powerful engines produced in the US for over 50 years. The HEMI engine is one of the most recognisable engines thanks to its large displacement and Pent-roof design.
The engine has great performance and power, but still lower than other manufacturers’ products, such as GM Gen III 426/427 SBC. These engines makes around 500 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque, making them a great choice for enthusiasts who are looking for more power and performance. Hemi engines are also known for their unique sound.
Common Problems with HEMI 5.7 L Engine
The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is a powerful and reliable engine that is often used in pickup trucks and SUVs. However, like all engines, it can experience problems from time to time. Some of the most common problems with the HEMI 5.7 L engine include:
- Poor fuel economy – This can be due to many factors, including dirty air filters, plugged air intake, and poor performance of the mass airflow sensor. These issues should be checked first because they are the easiest to fix.
- Check engine light problems – All modern vehicles have a built-in system that monitors the fuel mixture, exhaust emissions, and other factors related to vehicle performance. When there is a problem with one of these systems, it turns on the check engine light. The check engine light should be checked to see what the problem is. Common problems include fuel mixture problems, which can be fixed by checking the air filter and replacing it if necessary, as well as spark plug performance issues that can be checked by replacing spark plugs with high-performance ones or re-gapping factory ones.
- Shaking or vibration when idling – This can be an indication that the crankshaft balance shaft needs to be replaced or re-balanced. This can be done in a wide range of vehicles, from small cars to large trucks. In most cases, this is a simple fix and should not take long to complete for any mechanic.
Dodge HEMI 5.7 L Engine Location
The Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine is located in the front of the car. It is a V-8 engine with a displacement of 5.7 liters. It produces 383 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. The engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Replacing Dodge HEMI 5.7 L Engine
If you are looking to replace your Dodge HEMI 5.7 L engine, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a short guide on how to do so.
- The first step is to remove the engine from the vehicle. This can be done by disconnecting the battery, removing the air cleaner assembly, disconnecting the fuel lines, and then removing the engine mounts.
- The next step is to remove the accessories from the engine. This can be done by disconnecting the drive belts and then removing the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump.
- The next step is to remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. This can be done by disconnecting the vacuum lines, coolant lines, and fuel lines. The final step is to remove the engine. This can be done by disconnecting the spark plugs, removing the wires, and then lowering the engine out of the vehicle.
- Once the old engine has been removed, the new engine can be installed. The first step is to install the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. This can be done by connecting the vacuum lines, coolant lines, and fuel lines.
- The next step is to install the accessories. This can be done by connecting the drive belts and then installing the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump.
- The final step is to install the engine. This can be done by connecting the spark plugs, installing the wires, and then raising the engine into the vehicle.
Once complete, you can now enjoy your new 5.7 L Dodge HEMI engine.